"...This is Boot Camp!"
Not sure of your thoughts on Theological studies, but I came across a book at my Theological College Library called, 'The Reformed Pastor' by Richard Baxter.
If you can get your hands on a copy, I am telling you, you will thoroughly be challenged. I was in the Library and looking for some books on Pastoral Care. I was drawn to this book, and was so refreshed by the frankness, and challenge that Richard Baxter throws down to men who want to be leaders of God's people.
As I was browsing the shelves for books on Pastoral care, I became quite discouraged with the weak, existential, me focused, title of books that filled the shelves. Yet a author from the 17th Century calls us back to the Truth of the Bible.
I am aware that this post could be read as legalistic, and not being in touch with the new 21st century flock, but I strongly differ.
I think it shows us, and confirms my fears that we have so strayed away from the Bible, because it is too tough & hard to follow. I am afraid we are looking for alternatives to relieve a heart that is full of sin and shame without repenting and confessing our need for help and forgiveness.
Again - I am happy for you to disagree with me, but I beg you to show me from scripture where by living our lives in light of the cross that we are not called to be calling God's people to repentance. Not helping them excuse their behaviors, or come up with explanations to cover up sin. No we are to point them to the truth of the Cross of Christ...
Oh I hope you understand this heart...
Jesus is more then I deserve. He has done so much for us, and I desire others to live out what He has called us to. Not shy away, not justify, not excuse, but embrace the truth of the cross and what it calls us to.
Remember the man that came to Jesus and asked, "what must I do to follow you?" and Jesus says - "you want to follow me?" - Jesus goes on to say, "foxes have holes, birds have nest but the Son of Man has no place to lie his head." - Think about it friends. This is not home. This is boot camp.
One day we will be with Him. Until then - we are going to face difficult circumstances, such as death, loss, grief, illness, financial loss or gain, and more... But this world is not our home, we are just passing through... Come Lord Jesus!
because...
His Wrath is Satisfied...
If you can get your hands on a copy, I am telling you, you will thoroughly be challenged. I was in the Library and looking for some books on Pastoral Care. I was drawn to this book, and was so refreshed by the frankness, and challenge that Richard Baxter throws down to men who want to be leaders of God's people.
As I was browsing the shelves for books on Pastoral care, I became quite discouraged with the weak, existential, me focused, title of books that filled the shelves. Yet a author from the 17th Century calls us back to the Truth of the Bible.
I am aware that this post could be read as legalistic, and not being in touch with the new 21st century flock, but I strongly differ.
I think it shows us, and confirms my fears that we have so strayed away from the Bible, because it is too tough & hard to follow. I am afraid we are looking for alternatives to relieve a heart that is full of sin and shame without repenting and confessing our need for help and forgiveness.
Again - I am happy for you to disagree with me, but I beg you to show me from scripture where by living our lives in light of the cross that we are not called to be calling God's people to repentance. Not helping them excuse their behaviors, or come up with explanations to cover up sin. No we are to point them to the truth of the Cross of Christ...
Oh I hope you understand this heart...
Jesus is more then I deserve. He has done so much for us, and I desire others to live out what He has called us to. Not shy away, not justify, not excuse, but embrace the truth of the cross and what it calls us to.
Remember the man that came to Jesus and asked, "what must I do to follow you?" and Jesus says - "you want to follow me?" - Jesus goes on to say, "foxes have holes, birds have nest but the Son of Man has no place to lie his head." - Think about it friends. This is not home. This is boot camp.
One day we will be with Him. Until then - we are going to face difficult circumstances, such as death, loss, grief, illness, financial loss or gain, and more... But this world is not our home, we are just passing through... Come Lord Jesus!
because...
His Wrath is Satisfied...


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home