Sunday, January 14, 2007

Don't Stop PRAYING!

If I attempt to say this any better then this man - I will fuddle it up - so let me share what he writes, and then share with you how this wisdom has effected me...

Charles Spurgeon
'At the Master's Feet'
Daily Devotional

Sacred Violence

'The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.'
James 5:16

Never cease your prayers. No time is ill for prayer. The glare of
daylight should not tempt you to cease, and the gloom of mid-
night should not make you stop your cries. I know it is one of
Satan's chief objects to make the Christian cease praying, for if he
could but once put up the weapon of all-prayer, he would easily
vanquish us and take us for his prey. But so long as we continue to
cry to the Most High, Satan knows he cannot devour the very
weakest lamb of the flock. Prayer, mighty prayer, will yet prevail
if it hath but time.
And while you never cease from your trust, nor from your
prayer, grow more earnest in both. Let your faith be still more
resolved to give up all dependence anywhere but upon God, and
let your cry grow more and more vehement. It is not every knock
at mercy's gate that will open it, he who would prevail must
handle the knocker well, and dash it down again, and again, and
again. As the old Puritan saying goes, "Cold prayers ask for a
denial, but it is red-hot prayers which prevail." Bring your prayers
as some ancient battering ram against the gate of heaven, and force
it open with a sacred violence, "for the kingdom of heaven, suf-
fereth violence, and violent take it by storm." He who would
prevail with God must take care that all his strength be thrust into
his prayers.



Aren't these challenging words? I was and am challenged by it. So often I ask God for something that is important, and then when it does not happen I think - OK - and stop praying... How dumb am I? - I need to learn to 'handle the knocker well, and dash it down again, and again, and again.' There are so many things that I attempt to pray for, and so many needs that we have as a family! I then become frustrated that there does not appear to be time in my day to pray for everything! In actual fact there is time in my day to pray... plenty of time... I need to prioritize my day to pray... reading that: 'Satan's chief object is to make the Christian cease praying,' moves me to action.

Dear God - Thank you for the words in James - 'the prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.'

This is truly because of the cross...

where by -

Your Holy & Righteous Wrath is Satisfied

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home