The Sin of Gluttony
Glutton n. one who eats far too much; one who is eager for something; 'The Australian Oxford Mini Dictionary' 1984
glutton
(Deut. 21:20), Heb. zolel, from a word meaning "to shake out," "to squander;"and hence one who is prodigal, who wastes his means by indulgence. In Prov.23:21, the word means debauchees or wasters of their own body. In Prov. 28:7,the word (pl.) is rendered Authorized Version "riotous men;" Revised Version,"gluttonous." Matt. 11:19, Luke 7:34, Greek phagos, given to eating,gluttonous.
Easton's 1897 Bible Dictionary
How difficult I find to admit my sin and how easy it is to point out others sin because I do not want to deal with my own sin. - Let me share with you what God is teaching me at the moment. - I like to eat! Nothing wrong with that! My problem is, I eat for the wrong reasons. What is worse is that I have asked the Lord to help me, but I have ignored that voice of the Holy Spirit directing me to stop! His voice that says, "that's enough Patrick". But I just keep shoveling it in, and arguing with myself until I have emptied the bag of chips, cleaned my plate, and drank the last drop of soda. And what is even more repulsive, is that I do this when others are not around.
Yesterday I was sitting at my desk in my bedroom. My bride had taken the kids to swimming lessons, and I thought I will bolt down stairs get a drink and come back up and keep working on my essay. Well, instead I opened the cupboard and found a half emptied bag of chips, and found some left over Fanta. What a great combo, so I raced up stairs and begin to eat and work on essay. Well I caught a side view of myself as I glanced in the mirror and did a double take to make sure I was seeing myself they way I just did! Sure enough, rolls and all were bulging out like marshmellows. I was shocked! What is worse was I kept eating. And while I was eating I was arguing with myself that it was just a bad reflection in the mirror, the sun's playing tricks on my eyes etc... Then I kept taking handful after handful of these chips, and realized I was in direct disobedience to the prompting of the Holy Spirit. My heart was being adulterous. I was wanting to do what i wanted to do.
Friends, God is willing to help us. The Holy Spirit is working, but I am choosing to continue to eat. I have been pondering on King David who was the shepherd boy. You see David was faithful when no one was looking. He tended his fathers sheep very faithfully. No one noticed but Yahweh did. Revelation for me: When no one is looking Patrick, are you going to be obedient? Oh Lord I need your help! I desire your help!
I have a choice, I can now go on by 'feeling' bad about myself, or I will embrace the objective truth of God's Word. 1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins He is faithful and just to forgive us of our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. Romans 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. Romans 12:1-2 Brothers, & Sisters, in view of God's mercies I am asking you to offer up your bodies to him while you are still alive. Your bodies are a holy sacrifice that is pleasing to God. When you offer your bodies to God, you are worshipping Him. Don't live any longer the way this world lives. Let your way of thinking be completely changed. Then you will be able to test what God wants for you. And you will agree that what he wants is right. His plan is good and pleasing and perfect.
Lord I trust your plan, and I have your forgiveness for my sin of gluttony. Thank you for your forgiveness...
only because...
His Wrath is Satisfied
glutton
(Deut. 21:20), Heb. zolel, from a word meaning "to shake out," "to squander;"and hence one who is prodigal, who wastes his means by indulgence. In Prov.23:21, the word means debauchees or wasters of their own body. In Prov. 28:7,the word (pl.) is rendered Authorized Version "riotous men;" Revised Version,"gluttonous." Matt. 11:19, Luke 7:34, Greek phagos, given to eating,gluttonous.
Easton's 1897 Bible Dictionary
How difficult I find to admit my sin and how easy it is to point out others sin because I do not want to deal with my own sin. - Let me share with you what God is teaching me at the moment. - I like to eat! Nothing wrong with that! My problem is, I eat for the wrong reasons. What is worse is that I have asked the Lord to help me, but I have ignored that voice of the Holy Spirit directing me to stop! His voice that says, "that's enough Patrick". But I just keep shoveling it in, and arguing with myself until I have emptied the bag of chips, cleaned my plate, and drank the last drop of soda. And what is even more repulsive, is that I do this when others are not around.
Yesterday I was sitting at my desk in my bedroom. My bride had taken the kids to swimming lessons, and I thought I will bolt down stairs get a drink and come back up and keep working on my essay. Well, instead I opened the cupboard and found a half emptied bag of chips, and found some left over Fanta. What a great combo, so I raced up stairs and begin to eat and work on essay. Well I caught a side view of myself as I glanced in the mirror and did a double take to make sure I was seeing myself they way I just did! Sure enough, rolls and all were bulging out like marshmellows. I was shocked! What is worse was I kept eating. And while I was eating I was arguing with myself that it was just a bad reflection in the mirror, the sun's playing tricks on my eyes etc... Then I kept taking handful after handful of these chips, and realized I was in direct disobedience to the prompting of the Holy Spirit. My heart was being adulterous. I was wanting to do what i wanted to do.
Friends, God is willing to help us. The Holy Spirit is working, but I am choosing to continue to eat. I have been pondering on King David who was the shepherd boy. You see David was faithful when no one was looking. He tended his fathers sheep very faithfully. No one noticed but Yahweh did. Revelation for me: When no one is looking Patrick, are you going to be obedient? Oh Lord I need your help! I desire your help!
I have a choice, I can now go on by 'feeling' bad about myself, or I will embrace the objective truth of God's Word. 1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins He is faithful and just to forgive us of our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. Romans 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. Romans 12:1-2 Brothers, & Sisters, in view of God's mercies I am asking you to offer up your bodies to him while you are still alive. Your bodies are a holy sacrifice that is pleasing to God. When you offer your bodies to God, you are worshipping Him. Don't live any longer the way this world lives. Let your way of thinking be completely changed. Then you will be able to test what God wants for you. And you will agree that what he wants is right. His plan is good and pleasing and perfect.
Lord I trust your plan, and I have your forgiveness for my sin of gluttony. Thank you for your forgiveness...
only because...
His Wrath is Satisfied


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home