Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Day with Dad!

These precious children brought so much joy into my life again today. From 6:00 AM - 7:30 PM - we laughed, we yelled, we cried, we got 'trained', we prayed together, ate together, and played together. It was a brilliant day, but I confess - I miss my wife, my friend, my lover, my children's mum. Not because of what she does for them and for me, but because though we had a great time today - we all knew we were missing a part of our family!

The day started out early - getting dressed and preparing to go see the ducks, and then going to get doughnuts. Well it was a struggle not being out of the house before 8:00 AM but we managed to make it out of the house just after 8:00. We fed the ducks and headed to get some doughnuts. - Now I am a bit of a spontaneous man - so I don't blink twice to come up with a idea - and run with it! Well as we were sitting waiting for our doughnuts to be 'pumped' out - I looked across the way and saw that the movies started in 45 minutes! - So I took all 5 kids to see 'The Wild' movie! It was not a great movie - but what was great was seeing the delight on my kids faces. The dance in their eyes, and the excitement of the story line. I could not help but be reminded that God delights in us His children.

Today I started re-reading 1 Corinthians 1: 1-31. I love what the Apostle Paul had to say to the Corinthians. I think he would have a similar message for us today. In particular I really appreciate the way Paul knew what his calling was. vs 17 he says, "For Christ did not send me to baptize but to preach the gospel, and not with words of eloquent wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power. 18) For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God."

Paul was like a father I reckon. He had his eye out - and was scoping out dangers that lie ahead. He did not abdicate his role either when it came to discussing the hard issues, that sometimes we as fathers must deal with in our families. Paul was able to bring strong, swift correction without destroying hope. What a role model!

I took great encouragement from another man by the name of Charles Spurgeon. He writes & I quote:

"The Spirit of God coming from Christ moves men to high and noble thoughts. Selfishness no longer rules the man who believes in Christ; he loves his fellow men, he desires their good, he can forgive them if they persecute him, he can lay down his life for them. Have we not had many who have gone forth among the heathen and laid down their lives for Christ? I was speaking with a brother from the Congo, and I spoke of the many deaths there, and he said, "Yes , it looks a sad thing that so many missionaries should die: but, sir," he added, "that is the first thing that we have done in Africa that is really hopeful. I have often heard the natives say to me, 'These men must believe a true religion, or else they would not come here to die for us poor black men.' Men begin to believe this new kind of evidence. The blood of the missionary becomes the seed of the church." I do not doubt that it is so; and, beloved, if you and I can live wholly and alone for Christ, if we can live nobly, if we can get out of ourselves, if we can rise superior to worldly advantages and prove that we believe all we say, we shall convince our fellow men of the truth of our religion."

Men, may I encourage you to model for your wife and your children this. Be quick to confess sin, quick to lead in prayer, & most importantly quick to acknowledge your dependency on Christ, because...

His Wrath is Satisfied

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home