Sunday, October 29, 2006

Blessed are the poor in spirit...

"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is
the kingdom of heaven.

Do you understand what these words from Matthew 5:3 mean?

John Macarthur has helped me understand these words...
He writes, 'Blessed. The word lit. Means 'happy, fortunate, blissful." Here
it speaks of more than a surface emotion. Jesus was describing the
divinely-bestowed well-being that belongs only to the faithful'.

'Poor in Spirit, this is the opposite of self sufficiency. It tells of a depth of humility
that recognizes one's utter spiritual bankruptcy apart from God. It is having an acute
awareness of your own lostness and hopelessness apart from divine grace.

Theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Jesus' teaching taught that the kingdom is a gracious
gift to those who sense their own poverty of spirit.

I am utterly amazed as I meditate on God's word. Yea, I say with my mouth that I recognize my spiritual bankruptcy - but oh how I fight with God to have things my way... Lord, please help us to model you when we are tempted. "For it is written, 'You shall worship the Lord your God and him only shall you serve.'" Matthew 4:10

only because

Your Wrath is Satisfied

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home